teradesa.com Al-Muazzam Fort, located in the Tabuk region, epitomizes the details of Islamic architecture. It also reflects the late Islamic interest in serving pilgrims on the Levant route.
The fort is said to have been established in 1031 AH or 1622 AD, as a resting place for Hajj and Umrah pilgrims. In addition, its existence also serves as a military barracks headquarters, to secure the road to and from Medina and Makkah.
The total area of this historical site is 10 thousand square meters. The walls, which are built in a rectangular shape, hold memories for more than four centuries.
Right in the center of the citadel, there is reportedly a large courtyard surrounded by rooms, staircases, and upper passages.
Smooth stones were used to build the fortress, which has two and is topped with a protective wall as high as the inner corridor. The four facades have no windows, except for small openings that were once used to defend the fort.
In the neighborhood of this fortress are also Al-Muazzam’s pond and the Hijaz railway station. Reddish-yellow carved stones were used to build the fort, which bears four foundation inscriptions.
Not stopping there, the building also has a large entrance typical of Al-Muazzam Fort, which includes arches and defensive openings.
The fort was visited by many famous travelers and explorers, including Julius Oetting from Germany in 1301 AH or 1884 AD. His visit was accompanied by Frenchman Charles Huber and documented in the book A Journey in the Arabian Peninsula.